Edge computing is predicted to have a breakthrough year on virtually every reputable 2020 technology prediction list that we could find.
Here’s a summary of the 2020 edge computing predictions from leading technology analysts, media outlets and consultants alike.
1. Deloitte’s 2020 Technology Industry Outlook: “As cloud and artificial intelligence (AI) deployments rise, edge computing is poised to join the mix.”
Deloitte noted that the rise of internet of things (IoT) data generated outside of data centers is the main catalyst, and cited research showing that nearly every industry can take advantage of edge computing.
2. IDC: Top 10 worldwide IT predictions for 2020 (TechRepublic): “#3. Build out the edge. By 2024, the number of apps at the edge will increase 800%.”
IDC urged businesses to modernize and utilize software at the edge.
3. Gartner: Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2020: “#6: The empowered edge.”
The report states that by 2023, there may be a 20-fold increase in IoT devices, requiring a movement of key applications closer to the user and devices.
4. Forrester: Predictions 2020: “Edge Computing makes the leap.”
The Forrester survey concluded that the biggest drivers for this were related to handling AI demands, reducing network latency and processing that the cloud can’t support. The advent of 5G and Wifi 6 are also contributing factors to the prediction.
5. IBM Tech Trends 2020 (Forbes): “Computing Is About to Get a Lot More Edgy”.
With the proliferation of IoT devices, IBM believes it will make sense for data to be processed as close to the user or device as possible— whether that’s an autonomous vehicle, street traffic flow, or robotic manufacturing.
6. IEEE’s Top 12 Technology Trends for 2020: #1: AI at the Edge.
“Combined with ubiquitous connectivity such as 5G and intelligent sensors such as the internet of things (IoT), and machine learning (ML) applications will rapidly move to the “edge, the physical world close to us all.”
7. IT Pro Today: 15 Technology Predictions for 2020: “Edge Computing Will Impact DevOps, Leading to the Need for EdgeOps.”
Unique security challenges will arise from the inevitable growth of edge computing.
8. SiliconANGLE: CES reveals a surge in AI, 5G and edge computing— especially in the enterprise.
Qualcomm cited that 175 zettabytes of data will be created by 2025, equating to 6.5 billion years of high definition (HD) video.
9. Data Center Frontier: The Eight Trends That Will Shape the Data Center Industry in 2020 “7. Edge Focus Shifts to Economics”.
Many veterans of the data center industry see a major opportunity for edge data centers. Enterprises such as Procter & Gamble see an opportunity to move less data to the cloud using edge analytics.
10. Topio Networks: #1- Building out the edge platform space
Specific to edge computing, Topio Networks made predictions for 2020 trends in edge computing, citing the, specifically naming EDJX as one of the players.
A Better Way to Build
We have been building an end-to-end serverless edge computing platform for nearly 18 months and are not surprised that predictions have caught up to our vision. As a platform secured by distributed ledger technology, we are focused on delivering the simplest, yet most secure platform for IoT app developers while building out the largest edge computing network.
EDJX provides a secure, intelligent and fully decentralized environment for apps that live or die on low latency. The platform is:
- Flexible— you can run it on any hardware or cloud-based system or even an edge gateway device.
- Intelligent and responsive— EDJX has filed patents based on our unique ability to route function requests to the closest available capacity on the network, in real time.
- Peer-to-peer— when an EDJX-enabled node boots (comes online), it automatically forms a peer-to-peer mesh with other visible nodes in the system.
Sign-up for the platform at: https://console.edjx.network/login.